1. the first time i rode a two-wheeler, dad’s steadying hand at the ready but not necessary. hallelujah!
2. the time mom suggested i use a bigger bat because i was older now, and i resisted, but she insisted, so to please her i tried joey’s louisville slugger and swung hard and i hit a home run. hallelujah! my mom is smart, and i am a champion.
3. that time a boy in a wheelchair told me i have a nice aura.
4. motherless at 27; feeling mostly lost, cold, broken and fat. the sculptor next door tells me he used to watch me sunbathing on the roof when i still lived at home. hallelujah! i had a teenage body somebody thought was worth leering at. wait – hallelujah! – you’re a creep. no wonder your wife left you. do all art teachers sleep with their students?
5. i have always always always lived alone. orphaned at three, disconnected forever. there is a manhattan cafe that feels more like family. the chelsea hotel read my book! hallelujah!
6. racing off the end of the dock. no sharks. no rocks. the water is freezing, but i am not going under. i will survive. hallelujah!
7. if you tell enough lies you can get out of synchronized swimming AND piano recitals. hallelujah!
8. recipe for light getting in (come back to this).
9. hallelujah! your life is not wasted just because you are not a world-famous filmmaker. there is joy in quiet mornings and long prairie skies.
10. that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. she left; i didn’t die. another she left, and i did cry, but … hallelujah! i found swing, bourbon and boogie streets without them. hallelujah! thanks for the memories. didja get my postcards?
11. barefoot crooners with white linen suits and banjos. hallelujah!
12. The company of writerly women. hallelujah!
13. hey, that’s no way to say goodbye during sunday dinner and oh brother you were such a bastard. thank g-d you found your hallelujah.
14. the moment the titanium meets the canary and the cobalt and the perfect sky comes out the end of my eternally grateful brush. hallelujah!
15. the blessed communion of asparagus, lemon, garlic.
16. the realization you are holy within and fuck the without.
17. hallelujah! the trees.
18. hallelujah! the river.
19. hallelujah! the wild blue, yonder. the adult moment when you realize ‘yonder’ is a direction, not a coloured noun.
20. flannel plaid and plaid flannel. sensible shoe hallelujah.
21. corduroy bellbottoms.
22. fried cheese and lager. hallelujah!
23. anonymous valentines. someone out there loves me! hallelujah!
24. stones, roses, ribbons, glass hearts. the lovelies rowing across my living room pond on a snowy sabbath. hallelujah!
25. blessings are plentiful when you remember where to look. sometimes you need a flashlight. sometimes you just glide.
26. constellations and ducks, omelettes and libraries, bridges and broken angels. hallelujah times a million for all of these things.
27. there is a place on the bliss trail called hallelujah point. i buried my old scared self there.
28. the big aha: that hallelujah moments are not so much giant koans as tiny flickers in the mitochondria.
29. is a prime number on which to end. hallelujah!
Oh how wonderful and funny your curriculum vitae. Hallelujah.
Your words splatter color on my white day. Hallelujah